Present day Chandor was once the ancient city of Chandrapur, which served as the capital for the Bhoja and the Kadamba dynasties.
After the 1930 Heras excavation, interest was lost and as a result huge trees grew around it. In 1974, the Archaeological Survey of India intervened and began excavating, under the direction of superintending archaeologist, S. R. Rao. According to a Navhind Times, dated 8th April 1974 report, the discovery of the 1500 years old temple complex consisted of a Garbhgriha (sanctum), surrounded by Pradakshinapatha (circumbulatory passage), a large Sabhamandapa (assembly hall) and a medium sized Mukhamandapa or porch.
While a few finds of the Fr. Heras excavation were taken to his museum at Mumbai, the remaining were lodged at the museum at Old Goa. Today all that one finds at Chandor Kott is a severed Nandi bull, a silent and solitary witness to a glorious port-town that Chandrapur was, once upon a time.
(A Version of this article appeared on GOA PLUS, a weekly supplement of the Times of India and the Economic Times, dt: December 8-14, 2006)